If your site isn’t shown on the first three pages of search results 90% of Internet users will never know it exists.
Most customers will find your website by using one of the big three search engines (Google, Yahoo, Bing). The challenge to all site owners is to prove your site is one of the best to these engines. It is a continual challenge to make a site rank highest on these searches with Search Engine Optimisation.
Having created a web site it’s important to make sure it’s working for you and that means people have to be able to find it. If they are looking for a service or product you supply but haven’t dealt with you before, they won’t be searching for you by name they’ll be searching for the product or service.
At Smith and Saunders we’ve been designing top ranked sites for over a decade so know the best ethical ways to get your website noticed.
Over the long term no-one can beat the system and the only way to get good quality consistent rankings on the search engines is to optimise your site effectively. There is no magic wand or quick fix that will get you the coveted page one spot on Google in the natural search rankings. Only good design and effective research and optimisation will get results.
What we do
Firstly we’ll review and audit your web site and explain in plain English its position in the natural search engine rankings. This review will be followed by recommendations of the changes required to your web site to improve its position.
We need to make sure you get high rankings for the right search terms to maximise your return on investment.
We will then provide a summary of our findings and our suggestions and recommendations, highlighting any areas that suggest possible improvements to your web site.
Our work with you will cover a number of areas, for example:
- Assess and research your keywords (the words users will use to find what you do) to see if these are ‘actually’ what your potential customers are looking for and not what you ‘think’ they are looking for
- Ensure those key words are used prominently and relevantly on your pages so that the search engines will recognise your site
- Increase the amount of relevant text on your site whilst maintaining its look and feel
- Verify the site with the various search engines
- Ensure that all search engine specific data is included in your site
- Register your site for Google Places – if appropriate for local searches
- Give images on your site appropriate and effective labels – remember search engines cannot see pictures (but they can see a pictures name) and so need to be guided by words.
- Get your website connected to other relevant sites and vice versa called backlinks (or inbound links). Increasing backlinks is a valuable way to increasing your search engine ranking and increasing your web sites footprint. The larger your web site footprint the more chance relevant users will click on a link to your site
- Include a search engine site map – a set of directions to your site for the search engines. This makes their job easier and makes it more likely they will find all the information on your site
- Incorporate any Social Media links (LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter) and plan social media strategy and campaigns
- Regular reporting – maintain ongoing consultancy with clients as SEO is a long term process and your competitors are bound to be doing it too!
Search engine optimisation isn’t a one-off quick fix, it requires continued monitoring to see how a site is rating and any changes in search behaviour are incorporated into the pages.
Please contact us for further information and to see how we could increase the performance of your website.